Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Getting Motivated

Went for a fantastic run tonight in Clissold Park. Apart from the mess left behind by Stokefest over the weekend it was a pretty idyllic night post work for a run to blow away the weekend cobwebs. Hot as anything, I wasn't exerting myself but by the end I ran to the shop to get some juice and I was so parched I had to get an ice pole to sate my thirst as well as a litre of apple!

Anyway, since my last 10 K I have been going to the Victoria Park Running club as often as I can - they have sessions twice a week - and I'm glad I have. Running with and against others is just the inspiration I need to keep up the good work from training earlier in the year and I notice an effect in my times getting quicker.

It seems a long time ago since I started running but it was only about this time a year ago that I took it up in earnest. Sure, I had run in the gym on a treadmill a lot during the previous 3 years and felt I could go a good distance in the confines of indoors, but running outdoors seemed a huge leap. I didn't think I'd be able to run a third of the distance but I was dragged out of my comfort zone and forced to the same Clissold Park by Els where I managed something like the best part of a lap before I struggled and started to walk. Now this isn't the biggest park in London so to make it round once with a relatively good level of fitness disheartened me and within 100 yards I'd picked up the pace again and made it round a second lap. Given a push I made it to 3 laps and got home feeling knackered but happy to have got that far.

The hardest thing wasn't the physical challenge. I was pretty sure I could do it, but I had a real mental block and in that first lap I really did think 'I can't do this' and lo, at the end of one lap had to walk. But summoning up the courage I did go a bit further, slowly and at my own pace. I felt OK and did manage to keep going. And at first that's all you have to do. Getting good enough to go a little bit further each time, more than the last, before you know you extend out your distances and you don't realise how far you've come in your training. Once I'd got past that first hurdle of doing one run, I was flying and though I'd get the odd jitter, eventually I'd be running and thinking 'I can do this!'. One year on, not only do I think 'I can do this!' but 'Hey, I'm pretty good at this too!' I've managed to do a PB in a 5K of 21 minutes, ran 5 miles in 35 minutes recently and done a really challenging 10K in 46 minutes 50 seconds.

I know I've still got mileage where I will improve just by doing speedwork and the fact I'm getting to a level of fitness where my body is used to the exertions I'm putting it through. But there is still more I can do to get that little bit quicker, from diet, to avoiding alcohol, being well rested, working on my core fitnesss, and many other little additions. Fundamentally, if you're reading this and thinking you're interested in running but 'there's no way I could do that' then all I can say is I was once like you, not that long ago and I managed it. The guy who likes to stay out late, enjoy more than the odd beer and who until 5 years ago didn't look after themselves properly physically or eat the right food. It doesn't take much to change your habits to get started and give it a good crack. You'll be surprised. But definitely, I understand its a mental challenge, but stick to it. The rewards are great and you don't have to push yourself too hard to get up to a good level of fitness or be able to enter competitions where you don't disgrace yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment