Thursday, February 23, 2012

Breaking through the glass ceiling of running

Just over a month to go now till the Barcelona marathon. Training took a dip last week when I got a little niggle on my shin. I saw my physio and he graded it at a 2 or 3 out of 10 kind of problem. I immediately eased off my training programme and hit the pool to flex my foot, do core work and follow the correct care. It was nice to have a pause from the intense mileage I'd been doing for the previous month.

Having a small break came at a good time in line with other stuff I'm doing in my life, but I felt a bit at a worry as to whether it would impact all the good work I've done. Physio did state that getting runners training for marathons to adhere to advice is tough, as most people have this same thought. But by switching to low impact core work and swimming I focused even harder on these activities and stretching to keep myself in the game.

Fast forward to late this week and having taken it easy at the track on Tuesday, I tested myself out on my weekly tempo and I feel much better for the rest. I clocked the same time running as 3 weeks ago and not to the detriment of my physical shape. In fact, it felt easier.

Having upped my running game in the last year, I'm beginning to feel the benefits. I never thought I'd be able to be clocking the times I am now. Seven and a half minute miles feel easier. Sevens aren't too hard, and working on my core and quad strength is the reason why I think.

Breaking 4 hours in a marathon was one glass ceiling. Breaking 3:30 another. And I know that (barring injury this time), I will go quicker. Inside, that change is present. The confidence is flowing. I'm rising to the challenge. And having broken through a few glass ceilings over the last 5 years, I know I will crash through a few more. Its a great feeling, as I did get down previously that I'd plateau'd> The best advice to anyone in the doldrums like this I say - whilst looking after your health and running condition - is keep going! You will get there, and you'll know when you've broken through your own glass ceiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment