Friday, October 26, 2012

The 30 day challenge - Day 21. Adapting to the conditions

So another delay in posting. But today I am recompensing by doing a double day (and I've recorded an interview for day 25 with Carlos Taboas Lorenzo on cycling endurance). But then again, I've come to Spain to see my folks and celebrate their respective birthdays.

Not going to get into detail about this post but I did learn a few salutary lessons for running today.
We went to favourite place to run, along the front at Sant Joan beach - about 5 miles from my folks house. Its a long beach with a wide pavement which runs about 5km in each direction. Its a beautiful blue flag beach with a lovely breeze pulling across it from the Med. Normally I bomb along quite happily, but today was one of those off running days. 4 miles and I was beat. Mainly due to the sun (it was midday) and feeling tired. Without the motivation of an upcoming race, I just couldn't get into it. So I opted to walk along the shore and take in the air. Kicking off the trainers, it was gorgeous to feel the sea lap my feet.

Needless to say, I got my mojo back and I gave some barefoot running a go. Along the compact wet sand I ran just half a mile, but enjoyed it much more than the previous 4. The Riley gets into town on Saturday so I'm going to see if we can do a morning barefoot run on Sunday. This time doing the full length of the shore. Though 5 to 10k doesn't sound much, having not run barefoot much before, I'm anticipating it will be a tough (and slow) one.

Take home lesson for me. Don't run in the midday sun. Going swimming was lush though. It woke my from my slumber. Even though its October, the sea here is lovely to swim in still. Tomorrow will be a different proposition entirely. I've got a tough hill and tempo run round the back of where my folks live away from the sea. I'll make sure I'm back on my game for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment