Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The research process for a Sports Psych (trainee)

So I've escaped to the sun and am diligently reading and writing to move the thesis on. It's a long process, but hugely enjoyable and lovely to do it poolside rather than in a small room in Stoke Newington. As per my last post I am going to be updating this blog so that it explains to the unitiated just what the hell Sport Psychology and mental skills training entail. To demystify, debunk and reach out to the wider World.

Last week I attended the 3rd International Qualitative Conference at my University and was inspired by other researchers presentations, findings, and encouragement. I'm determined to write a great bit of research and present it at a similar event in the future. The thing it left me thinking, other than that I am doing the right course of study and career, is that we have to make the work we do relevant to 'the man in the street' (or at least in the running club, football team, gym, office or factory). This doesn't mean dumbing down, but to transfer where the relevance of what is found in the field to everyday life.

I'll be telling you what Sport Psychology is; why its relevant to you; what I do, am aiming to do, and my theoretical orientation, amongst other useful starting points.

In the meantime, I'm using this medium to track my progress with my work, for as a novice researcher, I have to keep a reflexive journal to ensure I'm doing justice to the research being generating. Thats why I kept the 100 day log of training for the marathon. It tells me how I felt, what was going on, what factors were affecting my thinking and work. This needs to continue whilst I complete my work on 'the mental skills of marathon runners' that I captured at this years London Marathon. Got a lot to get through between now and tomorrow. I'll post up more on this in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment