Thursday, April 10, 2008

Can I actually do this?

It's been a long hard slog. I've put the hours in, avoided serious injury and now whilst realising there's nothing more physically that can be done before the race, its all down to the mental battle of what it will be like on the day of Marathon. I scooted to work along the Albert Embankment today which will be at the end part of the race. The organisers are already putting out the crowd barriers and my heart skipped a beat thinking how soon it will come around that Els and I will be pushing each other on at that point to make it through to the finish. I have actually thought over the last few days 'can I actually make it?', the full 26.2 miles. 22 was doable, but a slog. There's another 4 miles after that - an average morning run to complete! I've thought of Derek Redmond valiantly making it round the 400 metres at the 1992 Olympics with his dad after he pulled up just after the start and wondered what would happen if one of us gets an injury? A bit dramatic I know, but then I've never tested my body this much before. How's it going to react? Will my left knee hold up?

I read an article in Tuesday's Guardian by a writer who ran last years Marathon in which he describes how he felt at the finish and the dark moments he experienced during the race. He ran on his own, which I don't think I could do. With a running partner you can spur each other on, pick the other up or simply have someone who you know is the same as you and a barometer of how you're both feeling. The article has a number of useful tips about how to cope mentally when the dark clouds descend.

Remembering previous experiences is key (whether or not you choose to listen to the advice of what the other is telling you), and we both have a few of those stored up in our mental lockers, both positive and negative.

You can't help but compare yourself to others and I remember a friend running a few years ago who was a fantastic natural runner for whom Marathon was a life goal. He'd admit he didn't train quite as fully as possible and still put in a good time, but even he had to walk mile 24 because he'd given so much earlier in the race. Barring any injury I'm determined not to walk as long as the body holds up. But I think the body isn't the problem. It'll be staying focused in the mind I'm sure. With that in mind, and for your own interest dear reader, the ways I'll be staying positive are:

  • Remembering how I got through 22 miles when I thought the knee was properly going
  • My happy place where I will think back to will be running the length of St Juan beach at Christmas in Spain
  • I'll be looking forward to a massage in the MIND event after the Marathon and a Pint in the evening.
  • And my thing to look forward post marathon will be seeing Elbow on Tuesday at Brixton Academy. That is of course if my legs have forgiven me in time to stand for 2 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment