Tuesday, April 8, 2008

First Marathon post

For those in the know, I am an entrant in this years’ Flora London Marathon.

I've spent the last 4 months in training, cutting back on booze, late nights, and the more unhealthy parts of my lifestyle in general! And now, a sleeker more streamlined version of me is lining up for Sunday's race. Quite how I ended up signing up for it in the first place I can't quite remember, though I was definitely sober. Honest!

All of my friends have been encouraging me, including Tim and Monica over at Smarterfitter.com

Monica has changed career and is fulfilling her ambition to be a freelance writer. Her first commission for the Telegraph featuring yours truly is shown here. Link to full article.

My partner and I drew up a strict schedule and fundraising plan around Christmas last year, which, if you want to give this a go, I strongly advise you do.

At first the distances were within my comfort zone and I looked forward to my runs with relish. Then I got to the point where every long run was further than I'd ever run before and it began to get harder. But, as the training has been incremental it hasn't been so bad! I'll post the complete calendar after Sunday so anyone trying it for the first time can a) see what's involved, and b) if they're not completely scared off, can crib it for their own ends!

It has been incredibly rewarding and the feeling generated by each longer run has been extremely satisfying. The articles point about Runners High is not lost. It is a craving you want to go back for, despite any aches or pains the following day.

I definitely advise you get yourself a training partner at the beginning so that you spur each other on. Of course it helps if they are the same level of fitness and enthusiasm as you! Luckily I've had such a person by my side in Els, who I'll be proudly lining up alongside with at Greenwich.

I've jotted down a few notes from the time we've been working at this venture. I'll endeavour to post up some useful pointers after the blisters; sores and chaffing have subsided over the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment