Monday, April 14, 2008

Marathon finish

So after all the preparation, training and wonder about how we'd get on, we finished in a time of 4 hours, 11 minutes and 57 seconds. A very impressive Marathon debut. It was without doubt, one of the best days of my life. Big emotions experienced from beginning to end. Pride, happiness, elation, and with so many people out supporting the runners in this city you know so well, humble too.

What you hear from other people about running 26 miles really is true. Yes it's tiring, yes you get your doubts, but if you've prepared properly and you're in the right frame of mind, you will do it and you will get a decent time.

Let it be said. Everything you read and hear about the crowd helping you through the day is completely true. No amount of training or competitive runs can prepare you for it. And it is super organised so a great one to break the ice with.

We inched through security to get a bit nearer the start tape and join some friends in Greenwich Park. It didn't matter. As it gets nearer 9.45 you feel the tension, the crowd bunches up and then you're off. There's more space to run than you imagine. The other runners make room for you on the whole and you get a bit of banter with them pointing out people dressed up in various outfits. When the 3 different starting groups join together in Woolwich after a couple of miles they all boo each other to lighten the mood. Then its heads down and everyone’s running towards the big buildings of central London in the distance.

Early on you don't see many crowds but then you enter parts of the route where there are more people by the side of the road clapping and cheering. You run near the edge of the road, next to the crowd and you hear your name being shouted out as you go by if you've got your name on your vest. As the miles clock off, you spot friends and family on the route. Essential, as each mile is chalked off, you lose a little bit more of your freshness, and you have to draw deeper on the reserves of energy and mental grit.

Els and I knew where our supporters would be roughly, dotted round the course. And seemingly each time we would be flagging, we would catch people we knew, sometimes at pre-arranged points, but best of all, at places we would least expect. When you needed that boost most.

The old pins held up and at no point did I ever feel 'This is too much and can't continue' even though I have felt that on some of the training runs. Indeed, just before Blackfriars I had felt A1 and then we entered a long tunnel. It was about 22/23 miles and other runners were beginning to fall by the wayside. Inside, in the dark, the noise of the crowds disappeared and my energy felt sapped. I began to feel that maybe I'd have to walk some of the way. Els didn't stop. She cajoled me to eat a gel. I did as I was told.

On leaving the tunnel, we saw the crowds, the noise built again, and my speed increased. We looked ahead. In the distance we made out the banners her parents had made by the side of the road and upon passing them I ran over and kissed her mum on the cheek, elated to get my energy back. We carried on past Temple. I knew we were near the finish. Only 2 and a bit miles to go. The crowds were 3 or 4 deep and they were willing us on. I ran by the side to hear my name from the crowds and get some encouragement.

Nearing Parliament I knew we'd done it. I knew we had enough in the tank to make it all the way. Coming into Parliament Square I quickened my pace. I was rounding other runners who were spent. I glanced over my shoulder and Els was with me, stride for stride. I looked up. "600 metres to go" the sign said. I sped up, felt my stomach turn with too much energy drink moving up and down my windpipe, the horrible swell you feel when you think you're going to be sick. I slowed a little, let it go down, then pushed on.

I could see the 400 metre sign, Buckingham Palace to my left, but the crowd was subdued due to the rain that had begun to lash down. There was little noise or encouragement from them. The long turn into the Mall felt like forever. Legs, body and mind exhausted from the exertion. But I knew how near the end we were. Turning the corner I saw the finish getting closer, Els next to me. Instinctively I grabbed her hand to finish together. We crossed the line. 4:11:57. We'd done it.

No comments:

Post a Comment