Thursday, February 5, 2009

Days 26 & 27 for FLM 2009

So there is a jump in training from my last entry on day 20. As you no doubt all know, the weather has been snowy and as I'm not a member of a gym, I didn't run from Thursday. Meant to over the weekend, but was working and got sidetracked by the epic Nadal v Federer Final in Australia. Some amazing tennis and yet another great example of the psychological battles by these 2 supreme sportsman. Its as fascinating watching the mind games between them as the amazing shots and energy they put into their duals. I can't wait for the French open and Wimbledon this year. Has Nadal broken Federer? Federers tears at the end of the game on Sunday would appear to point that way, but he is an exceptional talent and it'll be interesting to see how he goes away and regroups for the rest of the season.

Anyway, tennis aside, running earlier in the week was a no go. By Tuesday evening I was finishing work and beginning to crave pulling on my running shoes. I made it home after a long day at University yesterday and walked up the A10 home from Dalston. The view from Roehampton over Richmond park (see above) had led me to believe that there would be no way the streets would be clear in my manor to allow a run but I was lifted when I saw no snow on the pavement.

I rushed in, changed and got out whilst the going was good. I'd missed track on Tuesday through work and I really wanted a speed session so I led off and pushed myself hard for as long as possible, following what I would have thought would be the clearest streets. Sticking to main roads all the way back to Canonbury then round from Brownswood to Stoke Newington common I didn't realise my speed and clocked 5.25 miles in 42 minutes 25 seconds.

I'd begun to think I would lose my fitness, but the rest did me good and I felt better than any run so far in training. Going away today to Berlin for the film festival I had loads to do last night to tie off but I rose early to do my long run missed over the weekend.

The ice had melted even more over night but by Mile End on the Regents Canal I almost lost my footing on ice and would have slid in! A great clear track in Victoria Park and knowledge of a hot cuppa on my arrival home sped me on my way and I clocked 9. 87 miles in 1 hour 25.

Berlin later today and we're planning a couple of runs there. It's a fantastic city to run in. Flat as a board (which is why Haile Gebrselassie beat the world record there last year) but with loads of sites to see on your runs round, I can't wait! Till Tuesday, Auf Wiedersehen!

Distances: 5.25 m & 9.87 m
How did it feel?: Really Comfortable on first one, a bit tight to start with on the second but ultimately satisfying.
Listening to?: Linstrom & Prins Thomas album & David Mancuso's The Loft Vol 2 last night. Resident Advisor podcast of Disco bloodbath this morning. Thoroughly recommended.
Food Eaten:
Breakfast: bowl of shredded wheat bitesize, 2 mashed bananas, 2 small toast, 2 x tea.
Lunch: 2 small rounds of cheese and pickle sandwiches, fruit. Oh and mid afternoon, a cream egg.
Dinner: Doner meat and salad from best turkish. Not proud but was starving after run last night and had to crack on with work. Admire the honesty there if you will. Healthy food in Berlin tho over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment