Friday, January 30, 2009

Day 20 for FLM 2009

Quick posting today.

So last night was the monthly handicap at Wells Street Common for VPH. An old club member, Phil was there and we're not too dissimilar in pace so we were paired together to come in at under 21 minutes on the 3 mile course.

Its 3 laps round the common. On the first lap really felt off the pace (which worryingly I have felt the whole of this training). Phil then pushed it on the second lap and I almost let him shoot off into the distance but my pride made me step up. End of the second lap I felt better and was determined not to be beat! Third lap I edged just ahead of phil, but only by a shoulders width.

We were lapping slower runners by this point and half way round I pushed on. Phil being the generous soul he is shouted 'push on, go for it!' and I put the gas down! With 400 metres to go I felt him come back within range but I wasn't going to let him past, I pushed to the line and put 2 clear seconds between us. We were shattered! but it felt great. 19:47 was the quickest I've done in the handicaps. Thanks to Phil and here's todays lesson. Try and run with someone whose about your speed and who will push you. I'd have gone so much slower if I'd been on my own. The push you can give each other will improve your speed on short bursts like these, but also increase your pace on longer distance.

No stats for today. Long run about to come up so will post these on return.

No comments:

Post a Comment