Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Days 49 to 55 - A week in running

After a hectic week last week and an equally busy one this, I'm just updating now. Ironically enough I've been offered my first guest blogspot on smarterfitter.com, which I'm trying to find the time to do! I went out with Tim and Mon from there for a curry, which Mon blogged that you can read about here. The irony being I was going to write about how much of my work with clients is based around finding them the time to do extra exercise or have time out from work/stress etc! Uni is busy, the Marathon shop where I work is busy with only a month or so to go and the training is going up, so I have less time to play with.

It's just a busy point in the year here. I've a week to complete my research proposal, and having rolled around 2 ideas for a long time, having spoken to my tutor, I've had to can them and do something that I'm not as initially enthusiastic about. I'll deal with it though. There's some really interesting research out there to build on and I think I've begun to find an angle that interests me, so I'll give it my best shot tomorrow and see if it flies with her and then write it all up by next Wednesday. I can't wait to have it finalised. I thought I'd got to that point on Friday and the sense of relief I felt was immense. A huge weight off my shoulders and I had a study that I really felt I could get stuck into and run with. The flattening I felt yesterday was the lowest I felt since starting the course but I picked myself up overnight and woke with a can-do attitude today. So far, productive for the week, this afternoon, fully focussing on a realistic plan and outline to present tomorrow.

So, back to the running. We have 4 runs I've completed since my last confession.

First up was the VO2 max testing I did on Tuesday night. I'll write more on this once I have the scores and can upload them to show you how useful this is as a training exercise and as a way of finding your optimal running speed and heart rate.

Second was the hill session a few of us from the club ran at Mile End Park. Having done a run down to Limehouse basin, 7 of us then ran back and forth over the big bridge in the park. Fast up, slow down. Good to vary the pace, and of course, having others there spurs you on. A gentle return to the clubhouse and then on the Friday a I ran the third run of the week. A gentle half-hour round Clissold Park to keep the legs loose before my main mission of the week.

Come Saturday, having gone to bed at 5am after a DJ gig, I had some porridge, a bit of toast, and having stayed off the alcohol this time, set off for the 17 mile run to up my distance. Optimistically I was hoping to 8 minute mile and then on the 11th mile, hit Victoria Park to join the back of the Mike Penman 10 k race so I could finish strongly with the backing of my clubmates. I'd worked out a lovely route that took me up the Lea Valley for a bit, before following the perimeter of Hackney Marshes and past the Olympic site to drop me by the inn on the park at the start of the race. I left late from my house and found the going tough. I did the first 3 miles in 24.30 so wasn't too far off the desired pace, but I slowed a bit and then just found my groove.

'Sod the time' I thought and kept plugging away. I hadn't eaten enough, so my strategy for taking carbohydrate gels got bought forward so that I could get some energy back into the legs. By the time the first one kicked in, I was already taking in the scenery, and having thought about how good the previous week had been, mentally I was really positive and knew I was nearing my destination. I got to the park and was disheartened to hear my GPS watch beep to signal the batteries dying. I'd so relaxed into my running that I'd not glanced to see my time for the best part of three-quarters of an hour. Still, I had my wristwatch on and clocked when I'd left home, so at least I could calculate my overall finish time.

I got round to the start of where the 10K had started, and the club runners from VPH, Walthamstow and Orion were already coming round for their second lap. I was noticeably slower than everyone, not surprising! But plodded on and cheered on my clubmates as they sped past at different points. One of the marshals accidentally told me that I was only needing to complete 2 laps, but as I passed Rob and Emily a bit further on, they informed me I had to do another one! Bugger! I carried on and necked the third gel of the day to boost the energy reserves. By the start of the final lap I was pretty much on my own, but Tim from the club ran alongside me for the final part and as ever, spurred me on with his positive comments.

Got to the clubhouse weary, and had done 17 miles in 2 hours 25 minutes. 8.5 minute miling feeling tired as hell. Not bad. Bodes well for the Finchley 20 this weekend. I'll get my rest in and hopefully I'll beat last year’s 3-hour mark.

Wish me luck for that and the thesis write up!

No comments:

Post a Comment