Monday, March 23, 2009

Days 61 to 70 for FLM 2009 - Up & Down

So after a hectic week I finally find the time to post. The schedule has been chocka. I got the thesis proposal in and am happy with the final version. I've also got assistance from the psychologist whose work I'm basing my project on. Late in the day he got back to me to assist, but definitely better late than never.

Run wise I failed to make Tuesday due to finishing off said proposal. I did pop out for a half hour 'loosener' as I describe a short burst after a long run the day before. The long one being the Finchley 20 on Sunday. Though I did stretch and try to do all the correct things afterwards, my leg muscles were still tight days later.

I was determined to repeat a decent time, so for Thursdays run, after a day on the shop floor, I stretched the way I should and posted a very quick 11 miles to the clubhouse and back via Tower Bridge. Was doing 7 minute miling and think this then became my downfall. Friday I rested, again I worked all day Saturday, and what with the Shop being at its busiest in the run up to the Marathon, I didn't rest as much as I'd have liked Saturday night.

Getting up at 6.30 the next morning to eat (so I would digest in time for the long run), whilst disciplined, cut into precious zzzed's time. But I started off spritely, and thanks to Rob's preset route we covered a beautiful route all the way down the Lea Valley to the Thames, the Royal parks and back to the canal in Regents park before I made it back for sunday lunch. I was doing fine on the running though as a group we were going a bit quicker than my comfort zone. No bad thing, but that, combined with a bad choice of lucozade drink and gel strategy, I took a turn in Hyde park and had an upset stomach. It killed my speed and whilst frustrating, better it happened on a training run than in the real thing.

I ran it off, but my legs were going at this point and the last 2 or 3 miles were a struggle. I clocked 20 miles in 2 hours 40, so only two minutes outside last weeks time. But dropped to 10 minute miles the last 2 as I hit what could have been 'the wall' - certainly something not that nice, but just on the periphery of pleasant.

By the time I finished, my recovery was only a matter of minutes and I stretched a lot, had an ice bath and by last night felt ok. My legs were fine today. I topped up by having a swim and probably somewhere around 12 or 15 miles cycling.

I'm good for the track tomorrow but I've had a re-think on finish time after the exubarance of last week. I'm going to aim for around 3 hours 42 minutes on the day. The last 6 miles when going at the pace I have been, is unsustainable (half way according to Tim Noakes). If I managed anywhere near that, then thats still half an hour off last year. And as I remind myself, this is a long term project. Some fine tuning is needed and having observed my first sprinting session at Mile End as a trainee psychologist, and seen the work they do, I've decided to spend more time conditioning than I have been - easier to do when I hit the taper in a few weeks too. That and eating better, getting more rest and upping swimming & cycling.

Todays food as an example:

4 x cups of tea
1 x home made fruit smoothie
2 x quorn sausages, baked sweet potato, low fat mayo and huge salad
small try of housemates veg lasagne
small fish, small portion of chips & mushy peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment