Monday, April 27, 2009

Day 100 - Flora London Marathon. The race

Beautiful but hot weather greeted the starters at Greenwich yesterday. I got down early and took some time to relax on the grass without my shoes on. I watched as the park filled up and met my friends to get to the start together. We were right at the front on Charlton Way outside the gates when the starters gun went. I immediately got into my stride and set off at what I thought was a slow pace. I did my first mile in under 7 minutes. As much as you tell yourself not to, you get caught up in the speed and excitement of the race. But I pared back more for the next few miles and got into a comfortable groove.

The next 12 or 13 miles were great. I slowed down to stick to my race plan of 8 minute miling but fell a bit behind this time as I got on to the highway at halfway just past Tower Bridge. The crowds and noise were deafening at that point but the heat of the day was really upon us and I felt myself slowing. It wasn't so bad physically but it sapped the mind and emotions. I realised that I had only seen one friend on the sidelines and as the toil was wareing me down, it was harder to keep going. The plan to pick up the pace in the second half went out the window. In these conditions, it was too much. At every water station I picked up water and drank some and tipped the rest over me to cool down. I got round the Isle of Dogs and up to Canary Wharf. I saw a couple of friends but missed my family in the huge crowds.

Leaving Canary Wharf and heading to Poplar I had to dig in. It felt tough but again I then saw some people once I was getting to the highway again and the spirits lifted, but the body couldn't. A lot of people around me were slowing and the mile markers seemed to spread out further and further away from me. Relative distances I knew seemed to take an eternity to negotiate. I wanted to walk. I wanted to stop. I began to think "Who do i need to justify myself to if i give up now?" I realised it was only me, as everyone I knew would support me whatever I did, but I wouldn't let myself do that. I began to think could I make it? and used the old adage, "one foot in front of the other," to just keep going. I've never had to dig into reserves that deep mentally to complete it, and I was saying to myself "If you do this, you never have to run another marathon again in your life." I convinced myself to quit the distance from this point. But only after I'd finished this one and beaten last years time.

I saw my family and girlfriend at Temple, it gave me a temporary lift. I kept going to Parliament, turned towards Birdcage Walk and as I was struggling and wanting to give in, Fran from club appeared to my left. I must have looked a sight. Bedraggled and crushed, I asked if she could hold me together to the line, and though she was tired she kindly did. We crossed the line together - 2 Victoria Park Harriers, in a time that I should be proud of, but of course, inside I was a bit disappointed it was longer than expected. On reflection today, after some rest, I am happy with it. I beat last years time, came in under 4 hours, finished in the top 20 per cent and didn't have too much physical pain or scars to show for the days running in tough conditions.

I'll be back for more and have the goal and hunger to go even quicker. For now though, I'll enjoy the moment and draw every ounce from the experience to help me with my running in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment