Sunday, April 19, 2009

Days 90 to 93 for FLM 2009

Into the final week and really taking it down in terms of exercise. Shaking off any last minute aches, pains and ailments.

I'm notorious for taking on loads of things, so I've consciously pared back on things to do this week. Aside from the work in the Marathon shop which may be hectic at the beginning of the week, it'll get easier by the weekend in terms of being on my feet. As a colleague from the club said, this week is about hydration, as much rest as possible, and focusing on strategy for the race.

On thursday I went for a resistance session with Graeme from the shop. My abductors were really out of sorts and he's put me on a regime to stretch these every day before the marathon. Once the marathons over, I'll be doing more of this as well speed work to be able to bring my times down for running. The essence of why is that by doing proper stretching and resistance work, you are improving your suppleness which should have an impact on your running style, efficiency and posture. So as much as I love running, working your core and flexibility will have as strong an effect on your performance long term.

Friday I completed my last VO2 max test at Sparc at Roehampton for a colleagues physiology exam but I struggled with a bit of tightness to my chest. I will however, get the results to inform the kind of times I should be looking to run each mile in the marathon to limit the chance of me hitting the wall.

And this morning, after a late night I managed to rouse myself to go for a 6.5 mile run with the club to loosen up the leg muscles. Thanks to the stretching as advised by Graeme beforehand, this felt very comfortable. So, for the rest of the week, cycling, and a couple of short runs will suffice along with hot baths and more resistance work.

Spoken to a few people who seemingly do read my postings and have commented on my food diary and highlights at the end of these postings. I don't get much feedback so when someone says "Oh I know about that from your blog," I'm a bit taken aback!

So scores on the doors!

Runs:
6.5 miles Victoria Park to Limehouse Basin and Back. Gentle and felt fine. About 50 minutes.
Food today:
Breakfast:
Half a muffin, Marmalade (not damson jam Kate!), 3 x teas, some cereal.
Brunch:
A muffin, mushrooms, a quorn sausage, poached egg.
Lunch:
2 tortillas, some quorn & fajita mix & salad, chocolate from easter
Dinner:
chicken, cous cous & roasted veg, slice of apple tart. Diet coke

Music:
Finally bought some music this week. Bullion 12" and Flying Lotus Ep on Warp
Enjoyed Bill Brewsters Set at Electric elephant last night. Never heard Losing my edge by LCD Soundsystem on a big PA. Sounded pretty good....

No comments:

Post a Comment