Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 82 for FLM 2009 (or solo speedwork sucks!)

Due to a large workload, juggling commitments in the shop with life, the thesis, I've only ran once in anger since the last long run. I made it to the club and did a great 6 mile speed session on Thursday with Simon and Alfredo. Really felt good afterwards. It showed the benefit of pushing yourself with others in a speed session. I didn't want to necessarily go as quickly as Simon pushed the pace, but after his stag the previous weekend, he wanted to clear any remnants from his system!

Nearing the finish I had a quick flash through my mind that maybe I'd ease off rather than keep at the pace he was really pushing to the clubhouse. It was within sight, and for 5 seconds I was thinking 'just stop!'. But the competitor in me didn't relent and pushed on for a bit longer. The endorphins kicked in and I was glad to have done so.

Today I was supposed to up my speed work but a last minute opportunity to run the second part of my pilot study for my thesis meant that I was going to not make it. With half an hour to spare I ran to the local park and tried to push the pace on my own. To be fair, it was useful and I didn't slouch and took it seriously. But without the measurement of the track or a coach to instruct you, the motivation was that much harder. I finished strongly and felt better for the run.

But with passover and Easter providing breaks to the routine, I feared how lack of running might impact marathon performance. However, having looked at what I'm doing between now and the big day I'm sure I'll be fine. That and now having to do core work every day to help my strength and conditioning. This will particularly come in handy for the last part of the marathon to hold up my upper body.

Music: Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Food: Cereal, a smoothie, 2 boiled egg and toast, beans on toast, stir fried beef with rice.
Times: Pyramids of different intensities covering an overall distance of 3.85 miles in 28 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment