Friday, April 24, 2009

Day 97 for FLM 2009

It's almost here. I can feel it so close, but its still a couple of days away. Everyone asking me about it, wellwishers sending messages. Met my mum earlier today, who is over from Spain with my Dad for the big day. Had a lovely lunch and caught up on stuff and talked more about the fundraising than the strategy for the race. Must say here, for anyone who has donated money or bought raffle tickets, a huge thank you. I've done over £1500 which I really didn't think I could manage on my own a year after getting over £2500, particularly in a recession. Myself and Mind are really grateful.

So I'm at the end of the rest (or taper) phase of training. I'm itching to get out. I've got half an hour strides to be doing tomorrow morning. That'll be after I get up at the same time as I plan to on Sunday and have the same breakfast that I'll have on the day. A big pasta lunch and a jacket sweet potato in the evening. This training for the marathon has united me with the humble Kumara. Baked they are delicious! and stick some humous on them, and you've got a wicked meal on your hands.

I got my chip and number (41200) from the expo and went feeling apprehensive and very unenthusiastic about it. You have to take the DLR to docklands and go to a massive corporate warehouse. Once processed, you're then bombarded by Adidas, the shop I work in (bite the hand that feeds eh? ;-) and other trainer/sport manufacturers and marathon related sales people.

However, I really enjoyed myself! On the way there I listened to my first interview I recorded the previous night for my thesis, the weather was amazing and I began to feel marathon fever.
I remembered that the circumstances were different last year. I had taken my application form for my masters there and excitedly had been reading about what the course had to offer and what the modules were. This year I met up with a colleague who taught part of this years course and is on the way to becoming a fully fledged sports psychologist, and marathon expert! We had a good catch up on things marathon and next steps for yours truly. It felt good to know I was doing all the right stuff and trying to get the right kind of experience. Once this marathons out of the way, then I'll be able to focus more clearly on finishing the course. My work has suffered in the last week due to the distraction but given that I'll be taking more data tomorrow for my thesis from 2 fellow runners, then I'll be able to be ahead with that whilst I catch up with other work.

Anyway, enough of that. Back to training. My final but one entry tonight and then rest before that early start. Wish me luck!

Meals today

Porridge, with banana, raisins and milk
2 tangerines
Fillet of whiting with chips, rocket and a pint of freedom lager (my last booze till sunday night)
few pieces of chocolate with a coffee
1 x cup of tea
1 sirloin steak, potato wedges, asparagus, mushroom and roasted tomatoes - and a big salad
more tea
Lots of water

No comments:

Post a Comment