Monday, January 5, 2009

Day 1 for FLM 2009 - The road starts here

First post of 2009. Happy new year to you! - hope it was a good one.

New year, new start. I've updated this blog to slim it down just to training and sports psychology, in preparation for this years Flora London Marathon. We are but 16 weeks away from the big day.

I've been in preparation training hard over Christmas, having a week off over new year and now starting the official program. I ran 5 miles today, it felt good. A bit of negative talk in the head drove me on in the freezing cold, and I did a good time but felt a twinge on my hamstring tendon halfway through.

Was able to get a last minute appointment at the University physio which I had wanted to do anyway, and she recognised that I had a problem (pain and inflammation) with my ITB on my right knee. In short, I'm a bit skew-iff! So my right side needs to be strengthened by additional stretching every day and take more rest. The physio doesn't think this should impact too much on my schedule for the marathon, but we're going to keep watching it and amend if necessary.

I calculated I ran 166 days last year and given the intensity of some of my training this isn't a surprise but if you are already feeling a few pains, go and get them checked out before the real training starts!

So just briefly, this blog is now going to be the resource for me to keep track of my training, update any of you on my progress and offer pointers along the way. From physical, to mental to diet, the ups, the downs, the fundraising and a reference for me as part of my course in Sports Psychology. Hope you find it interesting. I'm looking forward to the journey as much as the end result of the day (26th of April) itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment