Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day 18 & 19 for FLM 2009

Rested Monday. But went to Mile End track to practice with the club. First time this year. 6 sets of 800 metres with a minutes recovery, interspersed with 6 sets of 400 metres with the same recovery time.

Talk about feel off the pace! The worst thing about the track is that the people who go are all weekly attendees. And it shows! They really do know how to make you feel leaden as you traipse in their wake. Week by week though, you do get quicker and soon you're not bringing up the rear. There is nowhere to hide on the track though. And it is pointless after a while comparing yourself with how others are doing.

In sports psychology we call that 'ego orientated' i.e. you are using others as a benchmark for your own endeavours. We all do it to a degree but research has shown it to be a false economy. Comparing yourself with others either brings on feelings of a sense of superirioty (Which is ultimately hollow) or will make you feel inferior. The ideal then is to be 'task orientated' by which you focus only on your performance, your running style, how much better you are doing than previous performance.

I started off ego orientated (even though my head was telling me not too). I then ran an 800 with Naomi where I just had the edge over her, and then I went to task orientation for the rest of the session!

I know from the session that I didn't have my usual burst of speed which characterises my running but I vowed just to use this session as a benchmark for next week. Some long runs and hills will improve my speed, but I'm more worried about my core. Sit ups are required and a swim. I've got my GPS watch working again, so from this week on I'll be timing everything.

Distances: 7.2 km
How did it feel?: Comfortable. Steady most of the way, no real finish. Tiring.
Listening to?: None.
Food Eaten:
Breakfast: bowl of cheerios, 2 x tea.
Lunch: chickpea curry, rice and pitta bread
Dinner: Char grilled chicken with veg cous cous.
small lemon cheesecake & fresh raspberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment