Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 5 & 6 for FLM 2009

Been working on the assignment at great length last couple of days so yesterday was a rest day.
Good job cos this morning after a late finish on the books I was up in Oakwood (where the hell is that? - end of the piccadilly line. I didn't know either) competing in my first cross country. Good turnout from Victoria Park Harriers, we did 12 km on bone dry frozen grass and woodland trail.
Didn't feel properly warmed up as arrived late but it was so cold it didn't matter too much.

The starter had a proper gun to send us on our way and off we went. Ran my own race and wondered if I had the legs in me as it was a tough hilly course and trying out my new spikes wasn't the best decision given the terra firma. But I did myself proud. My finish time was 53 minutes 12 seconds. I only wanted to get round and at the end had a 2 mile fight to the finish with a member of the Serpentine runners (posh boys compared to our humble little east london club). I sat on his shoulder all the way but having been told it was a 2 lap race, I'd cooked the goose on the 2nd lap and didn't have enough in the tank to overtake him on the hill finish.

I had my team mates cheer me on at the line which made a difference and usually I'm a strong finisher but my competitor had the edge this time. I'll take him out at Stevenage next week, just you wait and see! To be fair I congratulated him straight away and he thanked me for pushing him so I like to think I did my diplomatic bit between the 2 clubs. Tomorrows a light jog and stretch.

The stats then...
Distance: 12K
How did it feel?: Bumpy. V firm underfoot. Tough but satisfying.
Listening to?: Nothing during the race but loads of tunes whilst working last night. Everything from Dinah Washington to Talk Talk.
Food Eaten:
Dinner: Thai stir fry with turkey and veg. Sticky rice.
Breakfast: Porridge, tea x 2 and fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment